The question asked:
I own a breville espresso machine with a non pressurised basket. The coffee espresso drips out over 30mls in fifteen seconds or less. I use the small plastic tamp that came with my machine.The problem is that I don't get good quality crema in espresso.
And the reply is;
The lack of crema in your espresso can be for varied reasons;
- coffee beans purchased from the supermarket and other stale coffee beans will lack crema - it can be very difficult to obtain fresh roasted coffee beans from any shopfront or cafe.
- the grind setting you select plays a large part. You might find that a finer grind is what is needed.
- a better tamp feels better in your hand, and can give you a better distribution of coffee in the basket, but the main thing is that you are using one - even the one that came with your machine is fine.
- you will need 14 grams of ground coffee in the basket. You dont have to measure it, aim for a heaped hump sitting ontop of the basket. usually any extra will naturally fall off the sides of the basket anyway.
- tamp with around fifteen kilograms of pressure. If you have bathroom scales at your place, try practicing ontop of the scales to get an idea of what 15kg of pressure feels like
- aim for 30 seconds of espresso pour in the cup.
I hope that helps. let me know how you get on.